Sunday, October 12, 2008

A bride, a beach, a ballet, a baby ...

A bride ...

Saturday morning as I got in my car after yoga, I glanced down at the car mat and noted the sand scattered across the dark fibers. I smiled and felt happiness fill my heart. The sand was from Thursday, when my friends married each other on the sand in Laguna Beach.

What a beautiful ceremony it was, outdoors, under God's blue skies, the ocean waves crashing on the shore, Laguna's dark cliffs rising behind us. The bride wore a beautiful creamy gown that flowed over her like milk; the groom, a shirt and shorts. My bare toes wiggled in the sand as the minister presided over the ceremony, his words sometimes drowned out by the roar of the waves. White buckets of brightly colored gerbera daisies formed a circle around the happy couple as they vowed to live and love together always. The couple and the setting made this among the most beautiful ceremonies I've witnessed. May God bless them with a lifetime of joy together.


A ballet ...


Saturday afternoon, the Kirov performed Giselle, one of my favorite story ballets. Light and ethereal, I found myself completely lost in the dance, oblivious to anyone else around me in the darkened theater. My dear friend and I have had tickets to the dance season at the performing arts center for many years; getting together several times a year to enjoy these performances is something we both look forward to. Giselle is a classic story ballet in the Marius Petipa tradition, replete with incredible battement sequences so precise, they seem nearly impossible and soaring jetes with the dancer lingering so long in suspension you can almost hear the audience stop breathing in awe. The Kirov, a Russian company, does the classics beautifully. And it was pure pleasure to enjoy it with my dear friend.

A baby ...

Immediately following the ballet, I was off to a baby shower for a friend. The mom-to-be is a gifted salsa dancer and former teacher of mine. One of the other shower guests is also a former salsa teacher of mine. Both of them were members of Los Rumberos, a noted LA dance company. They've traveled the world performing for audiences in a number of different countries, and are noted instructors in the LA salsa world. To say I am a huge admirer of each of them would be a huge understatement. Oh, if only I could dance like them - fiery and sharp, electrifying and sexy. The mom-to-be looked gorgeous and healthy, glowing with her pregnancy. It was fantastic to be with them and laugh and share in the joy of the new baby girl that will arrive in early December.

What a magical weekend this was, sharing such wonderful times with such good friends! My heart is glowing with happiness. I feel so blessed and filled with gratitude for these friendships that enrich my life.

Namaste.

14 comments:

paintergal said...

Your writing makes me feel as if I were there with you!
What a lovely sounding wedding, so full of joy and love.

You have a gift, Rose, to lose yourself in the moment. Treasure it!

Amber Cargile said...

What a wonderful weekend, Rose! (starting Thursday)!

TechGoddess said...

You share joy, love, peacefullness and happiness so freely it circles you with a lovely light surrounding everyone. I count myself so lucky to be your friend. Thank you.

Kat said...

Wow Rose...that was a very full Saturday! Every event sounds like fun and to have three in one day!
A wedding, a ballet and a baby! Your cup runneth over. Im so glad you enjoyed your weekend.

Anonymous said...

And what a beautiful post this is :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Rose. I invited a friend to check out your blog...single mom...hard working, intelligent, God loving woman...and she was so grateful. You never know who you are reaching with your peaceful prose. Thanks,
stewcarol

dec0r8or said...

Beautiful, Rose. You sure know how to live, my dear! Peace.

Connie said...

Dear Rose,
What a wonderful weekend! Thank you for sharing every minute with us. I love to listen to your music too - each note brings joy and peace to my soul.
Love you my dear friend.
Connie

Anonymous said...

You are like a breath. A breath of all the world has to offer seen by a woman that truly knows and understands the meaning of appreciation.

Because I love you, I've "tagged" you. Please see my blog for details.

Smooches

paintergal said...

Just to let you know I tagged you on my blog. :)

Cecile said...

What a fabulous day! and a wonderful post to tell us about it. Thank you Rose!!!

Ceci

Anonymous said...

True bliss Rose! I know your friends feel so blessed to have YOU in their lives...
Yes life is beautiful.

xo,
Kim

April said...

Ooooh! I love your blog! So "stress free" and just the thing I need to "get away!" LOL...

I love your writing too. I wish I was there!

Sheri @ www.careergirlinterrupted.com said...

gosh, that wedding sounds ideal. i feel like i could have been there by your descriptions and writing.