Sunday, July 27, 2008

little girl giggles ...


We only exist in this moment;
let's live this moment together
with joy, wonder and possibility.
No limits, no judgements.
We are beauty and light.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Whew! What a great weekend I had last weekend! I took Friday off, picked up my two granddaughters and off we went to the county fair. I love the fair! I love the fair in a butterflies-in-the-stomach, wide-eyed, jumping, excited way. (Not necessarily a dignified look for a grandmother, but what's a girl to do?) Carnival rides, exhibits, shows, fair smells and screams. The fair has been a summer ritual with the granddaughters ever since they were born. When summer rolls around, they begin asking "when's the fair?" and I begin planning my day off to take them so we don't have to go on a crowded weekend day.

We rode rides galore, screamed, laughed, played - oh what a great time we had. I love roller coasters the best. My dad used to take me on a wonderful roller coaster when I was little and I remember sitting there, glued against the side of his body, so excited and scared as the ride took off, the anticipation as the car climbed higher and higher - and then the screams of excited joy as we dropped and turned and dropped and climbed over and over again.

All rides were a dollar before 7, so the grandgirls and I rode rides all afternoon long until we'd ridden all we wanted. Taking a break, we wandered over to one of the performing stages and sat down to await the next performance. "The Bolts" the sign said. Others started gathering: families, older couples, and then we noticed there were a lot of tweens/young teens in the audience (some even in handmade t-shirts with the band's name). The band turned out to be a LOT of fun, a local group of young men who were great with the crowd, playing covers with a lot of energy and few of their own songs, too. It was such fun to see the band's "groupies" standing up by the stage, taking cellphone pics, making googley eyes at the boys in the band. My girls really loved the boys, too - lol!

Later, we went to the Art exhibit hall where my friend Chris, a glassblower, had entered three pieces for exhibition and judging. One of them won a third-place ribbon. Way to go, Chris! Wandering the exhibit space, we were really impressed by the photography, ceramics and paintings displayed, the girls calling out "oh! come look at this!" when they found something especially interesting.

At the end of the day, with our feet throbbing, we finished up our day by getting "tattoos" for the girls and mehndi (henna art) for me. It was a long, fun day and we were ready for home.

The girls spent the night and I took them to yoga with me Saturday morning. They were directly across the room from me and boy, they had me nearly laughing out loud as they struggled with some of the poses. But they were troupers and gave it their all! A couple of times, they broke out into little girl giggles, which just made me smile. I can hear those little girl giggles even now. Delightful!

After yoga, I took them to my stylist for haircuts, long layered looks like Ashley Tisdale and Selena Gomez (of Disney Channel). They turned out great! I started missing the girls as soon as I dropped them off later that afternoon. They are just so great and such fun to be with. I'm such a lucky Nana!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Live here and now, in the moment. A great advice.

Kat said...

I love rollercoasters! Sounds like you and the grans had a fun day at the fair. Little girl giggles are the best!

Anonymous said...

Who's the lucky one? The nana or the girls? Hard to tell. Both. Sweet stories. You get back as much as you give Salsa! p.s. thanks for hooking me up with Donovan.

stewcarol

Amber Cargile said...

You are THE coolest grandma, Rose! What a fantastic day! You know they will always remember that day!

By the way, was this the OC Fair? Our Pinot Grigio wine just won a silver medal at the Orange County Fair!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Rose...what a fun grandma! What a perfect weekend with your "girls"!
Summertime...ahhh.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Rose...what a fun grandma! What a perfect weekend with your "girls"!
Summertime...ahhh.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

whoops!