Monday, February 2, 2009

I need to go to my happy place ...



Q. What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?
A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q. Where will the government get this money?
A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?
A. Only a smidgen.

~~~
“Dear American Taxpayer,
Think you were in debt before? You now owe $825 billion more. Have a nice day!”
~~~
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have.
~Thomas Jefferson
~~~
My first brother S sent me the following article link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123310466514522309.html

When it always takes Congress an inordinate amount of time to ever get anything done, how is it that they were able to write a 647-page "stimulus" (I can't write that with a straight face, even with quotation marks) bill within days of Obama's inauguration? Seems like someone had it stashed away in a drawer somewhere just waiting to spring this pork-infested bloat upon the American taxpayer.

"..by our estimate only $90 billion out of $825 billion, or about 12 cents of every $1, is for something that can plausibly be considered a growth stimulus."

Out of the $825 billion, only $90 billion is really stimulus. The rest? Well, just read the article. Try not to get too angry.

I am responsible enough to stay within my personal budget, not spend on extras; I have no debt other than my mortgage payment. But Nan and her ilk are gonna put me and my fellow Americans in deep, deep debt.

Here's my brother's proposal, which I think is brilliant:

Instead of San Fran Nan’s we-won-the-election-we-wrote-the-bill bag o’tricks, how about giving every man, woman and child $100,000. With a population of 300 million, that works out to $300 billion. Much cheaper and I’m willing to bet it would provide much more actual economic stimulus, plus put money back into the banking system.

(I told you it was brilliant.)

~ With that money, people could pay off mortgages, or put a down payment on a house, or stop a foreclosure - the housing crisis would end.

~ People could buy new cars, or do home remodeling, or invest in a new business - stimulating the economy.

~ Credit cards could be paid off, reducing the incredible personal debt that Americans currently carry.

~ Every dollar spent would mean more people would keep their jobs - lowering the unemployment rate.

Yes, we need something, but this bill isn't it. What we borrow, will have to be repaid. We need a real stimulus bill, not this. A bill that we'll be able to repay without mortgaging future generations because of the greed of some politicians and their pet projects and union connections.

In California, our government is taking drastic measures to reduce spending. Our State tax refunds have been suspended; we're getting IOUs. And starting next week, government employees are required to take off two days per month unpaid, saving the state 1.3 billion through June 2010, closing some government services on those days. It's tough, but at least these employees won't be laid off; they'll still be working and have benefits. It's tough, but it's better than going into even deeper debt.

A debt crisis is not solved by acquiring greater debt.

There's been a proposal for the United States Postal Service to deliver mail five days a week instead of six. Fine by me. Again, I'd rather see reduced services, than people losing their jobs entirely or having our government go into further debt.

There's a better way. Let's pray that our leaders put aside their greed and stop trying to pull a fast one. Let's pray that they focus on real stimulus that will truly and honestly help Americans, not saddle them with a bill that cannot be repaid. Pray for wisdom and for hearts that genuinely care for the lives of every American, now and in the future.


~Namaste

3 comments:

paintergal said...

We are really in a precarious spot as a nation. It does make one pretty nervous.
Your brother should run for office! Brilliant idea.

Lady Prism said...

hello Rose! Nice to be here again.

With what's happening around the world today, sometimes, it gets to a point when one thinks if any government has truly the best intentions for their nation. My country's dilemma is one of even greater distastefulness, corruption, sheer and brutal.

We, who look upon what is taking place in your country are truly praying that things turn out better..soon. There are a good many companies in my country dependent on the stability of the United States economy. There have been thousands of lay-offs from our export and manufacturing sector already.

Your brother's idea is, as had bee said, "brilliant!"

ps: Sorry for not visiting the past weeks. I was sick and had not been into blogging all those days.

rebecca said...

Rose, I opt/vote for your brother...that is indeed brilliant. I can't even begin to describe how sick I'm feeling about all of this. I think I'll read the link some other time when I feel my stomach can better handle it. The life of an ostrich is looking better and better each day...